It’s that time of year again, where I reevaluate my entire life and decide to change my goals for the year. It’s fine, I’m fine, everything’s fine.
So let’s do a quick recap of the goals I’ve set at the beginning of 2019 and where I’m at.
- freelance work (I’m still chugging along, always in the need of more clients)
- plan to open online shop (this is a slow process that I’ve been procrastinating on but I think I’m going to focus more on it soon)
- 1 personal design project a week (52) (I’ve done about 20 so far, having a bit of a hectic June/July, but I think I’ll get back to it)
- finish NaNoWriMo ’18 draft (good LORD, this book is long and I haven’t had many days to focus on writing it)
- NaNoWriMo ’19 (coming in November!)
- outline fantasy series (I have been doing this and it’s been swell! outline isn’t totally done but I have mostly outlined the big picture arc of the series and the first book’s full outline to write during this year’s NaNoWriMo!)
- Thoughtless (a book I should be writing) (lololol)
- read 52 books (lololol, I’ve honestly been trying to read more I swear – I’ve read 9 thus far, but Reading Rush is happening now and I always read more later in the year it’s fine it’s fine I’m fine everything’s fine)
- complete trilogies/series (literally forgot this was a goal, but I haven’t really done this yet at all, but I have a few second and third books to read, so maybe?)
- read more often (I’m trying, okay?)
- Reading Rush (formerly BookTube-A-Thon) (happening as I type this!!!)
- watch 30 films (I’m about halfway there, which is great! TWO already in theaters!)
- write/shoot short film (in process of writing, will decide if I want to shoot it in August???)
- write feature-length film (probably this fall)
- sketching and illustrating 2 days a month (nah, man I don’t have the capacity – I think my time with illustration has come to an end, I’ve reached my peak, I can’t get any better without more focus and time but it’s all good)
- Inktober (still doing this because it’s fun!!!)
Health & Fitness
- walk everyday (have been doing great!!!!)
- workout 3x a week (lol was doing well but stopped for a few months but back on it!!!)
- go to bed/wake up earlier (kind of? 7am average is early, right?)
- 2 sodas a week (I gave this up looooong before April even began but I have to say, most of the sodas I drink now – which the number has gone down significantly, but nowhere near 2 a week – are diet, which ain’t great for me but I’m trying)
- 1 intake day a week (was doing this for a while and loved it but I think an hour a day would be better? it just didn’t fit within my schedule)
- grow social media (I’m trying but no one likes me it’s not my fault lol)
- post regularly on blog (I have been doing this! if you read these posts, you probably could tell. I doubt it though, I see the traffic on this blog and it’s looooow but still!)
- further learning – 12 posts (killin’ this, I love it so much and this is a great segue….)
There’s been some changes happening in my life, over the last year or so. I’ve been thinking about it and thinking about it, and I have come to the decision that I want to go back to school.
That’s right! Back to college. Back to the book learning. Since doing “Further Learning” on this blog, I’ve realized how much I love learning and how much I love learning about language, specifically. I don’t know for sure, but I’ve been thinking about going back to school for Linguistics and/or English and creative writing. Maybe something else. I haven’t nailed anything down yet. (I’ve been looking at schools and doing some research about it, though. It’s weird being a “non-traditional student” going to school later in life at 26. There’s so many questions and it’s not easy to navigate.) But I miss school. I regret not going to college formally. I need a big, wonderful change in my life.
For a few years now, I’ve been feeling restless, feeling like my life has hit a weird stand-still. That stagnant, static life of mine burst to life briefly last summer when the opportunity to live in Spain for just under a year came about. It was exciting and terrifying and I felt like, Ah, yes, finally, my life is about to start. But when that fell through, and the small business I was co-running decided to (maybe temporarily) shut down, I felt that same static feeling wash over me again. I’m just here. Waiting and wanting and unhappy about it.
It took me a while to realize that I don’t have to wait. I don’t have to want. I can do, I can seize. All I have to do is pick myself up and do it. And I’m tired of feeling like I can’t do the things I want.
So I’m going to. It’s going to take some time. I don’t know when school would be happening. I need to figure out all of that and figure out my life as I work toward getting there, because I still need money and to work in the mean time.
That’s my new goal for this year. The main goal. And I’m excited and terrified and it feels great.